The FAI Junior Cup began in 1923 with Brideville FC hailing from the Liberties in Dublin lifting the first trophy.
Since then, the competition has become the largest amateur football competition in Europe with over 650 clubs from all over Ireland entering every September dreaming of reaching the final and playing at the home of Irish soccer, the Aviva Stadium.
To every team, its coaches, supporters and every single volunteer who helps their club exist, the FAI Junior Cup matters. For every club it’s not just the dream of playing at the Aviva Stadium, but the chance to test themselves against teams from all over the country, to experience the unknown with the hope of coming out on top at the final in May of every year.
Teams can enter the competition by visiting the FAI Website, downloading an entry form and submitting their entry by August each year.
There are 7 knock out rounds and it then narrows down to the final stages of the competition.
In 2013, Aviva became a sponsor of the FAI Junior Cup and thanks to this partnership, the Final has been held at the home of Irish football the Aviva Stadium ever since, with Sheriff YC being the first side to triumph there. They were followed by Tipperary’s St. Michael’s in 2014, Liffey Wanderers in 2015 and Sheriff YC agauin in 2016
As sponsors of the FAI Junior Cup, Aviva have committed to the following:
• The FAI Junior Cup Final to be held in the Aviva Stadium for the 5th consecutive year.
• Matches from Round 3 onwards to be filmed for national TV / Online broadcast.
• Every game from the Quarter Finals onwards to be filmed for national TV & Online broadcast.
• Aviva Performance of the Round Award for the best performance of a team in every round from Round 3 onwards.
• Aviva’s “Put Your Name On It” campaign open to all clubs with the opportunity to get awarded Junior Cup improvement incentives including High Performance Training Sessions, Training and Match Video Analysis, new training equipment and first team kit.